What if I don’t have a “Can’t Connect to this WiFi network in Windows 10” on my laptop? Any Windows 10 user can experience this problem, and below we’ll list the 10 most popular and effective ways to solve the problem and find the cause of the problem and what to do when none of the ways helps.
10 ways to solve Windows 10 can’t connect to this WiFi Network Error
1. Reboot router or laptop
The easiest and most basic way to use in the first place is to reboot all the devices involved in the connection – the laptop and the router.
There are several ways to reboot the router. The easiest thing is to turn off and turn the power on. This is done with a special power button on the device. If this button is missing – you can pull the power cord out of the socket and then insert it back.
You can also read: What is Ping in Internet Speed – What is the ideal ping? How does It Affect?
The second way to reboot the router is through the device’s web interface. After rebooting both devices, try reconnecting to the network to see if the “failed network” bug has been fixed.
2. Disabling Airplane Mode
There may be problems connecting to a wireless hotspot because the so-called Airplane mode is on Windows. When you’re in this mode, the laptop doesn’t connect to the network because the system blocks it. To turn it off and return the device to normal, you need to click on the notification icon in the bottom right corner on the pad.
This icon can also be displayed under the list of available wireless networks if you click on the WiFi icon at the bottom of the
You can also read: How to Connect Two Routers in Cascade
tray. If the icon is on, then the mode is on, and you need to click on the tile to disable it. After disconnecting, try to reconnect to the access point and see if there’s a problem left.
3. Find the Correct Password
If you’re not sure if you’ve entered the correct WiFi password (or it’s been changed), you need to know the current security key through the router’s web interface.
To do this, take the device, flip and find the device’s IP address, login, and password, which is needed to access the web menu.
To the router by wire, open the browser, enter the address line found address (the most common addresses – “192.168.1.1” or “192.168.0.1”), then authorize (you can try the most common combination – admin/admin).
In the control panel itself, we open a section associated with wireless settings. The password is displayed in the line of the same name.
You can also read: How To Limit Other Users’ Access To Home Wi-Fi
4. Forget WiFi
Another way is to forget the network, then reconnect to it. This will have to reintroduce the security key. If the type of encryption on the router has been changed, the laptop may stop connecting to the network, and there will be a bug. In this case, this method will help – the system will see that this access point’s type of encryption is different and connects to it without problems.
You can also read: How to Change WiFi Name of Your Network
Here’s what we do to reset the Windows 10 network:
- Click in the trey at the bottom right on the WiFi icon.
- Click on the “Network Settings” line.
- In the settings window, we move on to wifi Network Settings Management.
- The following window will show you a list of all the hotspots your laptop has ever connected to. Click on the desired (when trying to connect to which there is an error) and click on the icon “Forget.”
- Once the system has forgotten the access point, we try to reconnect to it again. To do this, click again on the WiFi icon at the bottom to display the list of available connections. Choose what you want, click on “Connect,” and enter the password.
- The error must go away, and the connection must be successful.
5. Setting up a power-up network adapter
Errors with the WiFi adapter may occur because of its incorrect operation. For example, if it sometimes shuts down for energy-saving purposes. This option can be deactivated. Step-by-step instructions:
You can also rerad: Creating A Secured Wi-Fi Network With Virtual Router Plus
- Open Device Manager.
- Choose our WiFi network adapter in the “Network Adapters” line.
- Click on it with the right button, and in the context menu, choose the “Properties” line. There will be a point associated with disabling the device for energy saving. Remove the tick from it, save the changes.
6. Removing and installing a network adapter
You can also try to remove the WiFi adapter from the system entirely and then re-install it. You’ll also need to go to the Device Manager and find your WiFi adapter on the list. Click on it with the right button, then click on the “Delete” contextual menu.
Confirm your choice.
Now we need to reboot your laptop. When you download Windows, the device will be set back automatically. You can then try reconnecting to the WiFi hotspot.
7. Changing the type of encryption
If you’ve changed the type of encryption on the router, the laptop may stop connecting to it. There are two ways to solve this problem: forget the WiFi connection, reconnect to it, or change the type of encryption back to the previous one. The first way we described above.
To change the type of encryption on your WiFi router, you should go to the web interface section related to the wireless configuration. For example, this section looks like this on the router brand D-Link.
You can also read: How to create a guest Wi-Fi network
On TP-Link, the same section can be called “Wireless Mode” or “Wireless Settings.”
In the “WPA-encryption” line, you should choose the type that was established earlier. If you don’t know what type you’ve chosen before, try switching them sequentially, then connect to the router on your laptop.
8. Reinstalling the network adapter driver
It’s possible that the “can’t connect to the WiFi network on a Windows 10 laptop” is due to problems with the laptop’s network adapter driver. If it hasn’t been updated for a long time, it should be updated. If, on the contrary, the error began to appear after installing fresh software, you need to return the old version of the driver, i.e., roll back the driver.
First, let’s describe how to upgrade the network adapter driver to the latest version:
- Let’s move on to the computer manufacturer’s official web resource. There will need to choose your model of the device and a version of the system Windows 10 (32 or 64 bits).
- After selecting the software you need, we download it to the laptop, choosing the correct catalog to save the file.
- We run the executable file of software installation for the network adapter from the directory where it was downloaded.
Instructions on how to roll the driver back to the previous version if there was an error after the update and failed to connect to the WiFi network on Windows 10:
- Start The Device Manager through the Start context menu (you need to click the right button on the Start icon). Click on the correct name in the list.
- A window will open with a list of all installed equipment in the system. We need the “Network Adapters” line. Turn it around and click on our WiFi adapter (its name should be wireless).
- We need to open the adapter properties. Click the right button on it and choose the appropriate item on the menu. In properties, select the Driver tab at the top, then click on the Update button.
- In the window, you choose to look for software on the computer. The tick from the line “Only compatible devices” needs to be removed. In the list on the right, we find the old version of the software for the WiFi adapter.
- When the installation is complete, you should restart the system for the changes to take effect.
9. View error in Windows Event Journal
In the Windows Event Log, you can find the cause of the error to fix it. Step-by-step instructions:
- Click on the “My Computer” icon on the desktop with the right button.
- In the context menu, we choose the “Manage”.
- In the left column, select “Events Viewer,” then “Windows Logs” and “System.”
- You can also open the events through the Control Panel.
- In the open window on the right, you need to set the filter by typing the keywords “network,” “adapter,” “ipv4,” “ipv6.”
- Click on the most recent record with an exclamation point twice. You’ll see a description of the problem and a code that can find out how to solve the problem.
- Once the problem has been fixed, you should try to connect to the WiFi hotspot again.
10. Reset router settings
If any of the solutions mentioned above to the problem, when Windows 10 does not connect to WiFi, did not help you, then it may be in the router. You can try to reset the settings to factory values completely. To do this, there is a specially designed RESET button on the WiFi devices on the case. Usually, it is located in a hole, and to press it will need a small thin object, for example, a pin or a needle.
Attention! After the reset, all the router parameters will be zeroed, and it will become impossible to access the Internet! To restore access to the network, you will have to reconfigure your router.
To reset, hold the button for 15 seconds until the WiFi router lights start flashing. This will reset the device’s configuration completely, reset all settings, including WAN, LAN, wireless mode, and so on. So it is worth resorting to this method only in the most extreme case. To check your internet speed you can visit here.
Did you manage to solve the connectivity problem?