Wi-Fi technologies are constantly evolving. Some routers can distribute the Internet at 2.4 and 5 GHz frequencies. The latter, unfortunately, is not consistently recognized by devices. This can occur in a variety of problems. We’ll take a closer look at how to connect the 5GHz Wi-Fi network to your computer or laptop.
Benefits of 5 GHz Wi-Fi
Some users don’t understand the differences between the two frequency ranges. Network 5 GHz has its undeniable advantages:
- High connection speed.
- Less network congestion.
- Support for 33 channels.
Of the cons can be noted the high cost of routers, the smaller distance to which the signal can spread, problems with connection to old devices.
How to find out if your device supports 5GHz Wi-Fi?
If your device doesn’t see the 5 GHz network, you can determine why it’s happening.
In the Windows operating system, you can quickly know if your PC supports the appropriate frequencies. To do this:
- Open a command line on behalf of the administrator. In Windows 10, you can do this by pressing the Win-R keys – Command Row (Administrator). Type CMD.
- In the open window, enter netsh wlan show drivers and click Enter.
- Find the Supported Types of Radio Modules. Here’s what you need to look at:
- Indications 802.11b and 802.11g indicate that the computer is supported only by radio frequency 2.4.
- The value of 802.11ac indicates that only 5 GHz can be worked.
- Values 802.11a, 802.11n, 802.11j, and 802.11n indicate that the device recognizes both types of radio frequencies.
If the data says that everything should be supported, and in practice, it turns out the opposite, you should go to the modem driver settings and turn on the right frequency.
The problem with the Windows 10 update.
Very often, after upgrading Windows 10, the laptop doesn’t see the proper Wi-Fi 5G network. To solve the situation, install the required drivers from the official website of the router manufacturer.
If the adapter doesn’t support the 5GHz network.
If your computer doesn’t support 5G Wi-Fi, use the connection at lower frequencies, i.e., 2.4 GHz. If you need a 5G connection, then purchase the device from a communications service provider, having previously asked how to connect it.
Using External Wi-Fi adapters
In this article, we’ve dealt with 5GHz Wi-Fi. If our advice doesn’t help you, you should contact the service center, as your laptop may have problems. If you have any questions left, ask them in the comments. We will be grateful if you share this article.
To check you internet speed you can visit here.